The rain is back. Just now, while I slept. That is okay, it has rained twice in the past three months here.
No new True Loves this week, but Manien and I did do some writing last weekend. It was a great session. As we approach the end of the book, the writing seems easier. While writing phrases were uttered such as “I’m on fire!” and “Now you’re on fire!” And we blasted through one crucial sequence that left us breathless and reeling by the end of it. Here is where we writing.
Manien has been working a lot of nights this month, and I have gotten in a good rhythm of inking for a few hours (or longer if the podcasts I’m listening to are too interesting, like this Inkstuds chat with Dave Sim). And then I putter on the internet and end up staying up too late watching these videos with people talking about Nick Cave’s albums, and drawing some of the great faces in them. Last night I was thinking that part of my enjoyment of them is that the people talking tend to be my age or older recalling their wild youth in the 80s.
Kid Congo has an AMAZING and animated face. As I drew him I recalled that I saw him play at the Railway Club once, and he was hanging out afterwards, and talked to him a bit and drew him.
Tender Prey was my first Nick Cave album. I clearly recall being at an Industrial Video Show at the Rivoli and the Mercy Seat came on, converting Jesse and I instantly.
New True Loves 3 is up! The virtues of man-servants are discussed.
I was watching these videos on the youtube of people discussing all of Nick Cave’s albums. Interesting to hear thoughts and memories, some from people in the Bad Seeds. And some great faces. I just had to draw some of them.
And I quite liked this video. The song kind of reminds me of that Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeroes “Home” but that works for me.
And this is a cute song and video too.
On the other hand this David Lynch song and video is fairly disturbing.
Wow where did the last half of August go? I had two weeks or so where I hardly got any drawing done, between the ceilings being painted, houseguests, comic jams and comic shows. I think I am back on track now though. I even resisted going to the new nerd pub everyone’s talking about.
Some of my houseguests were small people who I was playing pirates with. I decided we needed a treasure map, and once I added enough details to it they got interested. Then we needed a map of the actual island where the treasure was hidden.
I also made them a mixed CD which included this instant hit.
And this classic dance rave-up from my own childhood which we danced to five times in a row.
And here are some drawings I did of random things that came up on that (NSFW) tumblr that I’m still sort of obsessed with.
2. Manien and I watched Mission Impossible one day and the Descendants the next and found Clooney’s greying dad-hair looked so much better on him than Cruise’s desperate dye-job.
3. I got Tom Gauld’s Goliath recently. So good! Funny, beautiful and sad. And thought provoking even!
4. A couple of VanCAF videos. Some nice photos here too. Oh yeah, and this comic Grade Eight that I got at the show was great too.
5. It has been a fairly wet summer so far here in Vancouver Town. A lot of people are bellyaching, but I don’t mind. It means less watering of the garden, and less of Jason bursting into flames as he walks to and from the Dayjob. Today I was enjoying some music that was good for a drizzly day. Sparklehorse. The National. And my soothing music in general these days, Grimes.
6. And hey a new Die Antwoord video! It is a classic family drama in the vein of Twisted Sister’s We’re Not Gonna Take It!